Job wish list

So,

If I had a wish list for a job it would be:

  • A position I could research a problem, and work to resolve it, and able to get feedback it was resolved.
    • I have enjoyed sys admin, tech support, and (technical) product management roles.
  • I could work closely, or only minimally removed, from the end user(s). 
    • I enjoy the feedback of helping bring a persons server back online, to helping get their POS working again, to calling the end user that the bug they reported in the software is resolved. etc.
  • A position I could document, diagram, and organize.
    • I am queen of google draw and excel
The position would not:

  • Have a high incidence of repetition (that I could not automate away)
  • Have on call
  • Have a high amount of travel
The company the position was at would:

  • Have a generous vacation policy, that employee actually use to refresh themsevelves
  • Allows employees to have a healthy work life balance
  • Permit for flexible work hours
    • Core hours are fine, but I am not a morning person
  • Permit for work from home 
    • not 100%, although thats awesome, but flexible 1 week in, 1 week out. 100% remote is great too. 
    • I actually do like having coworkers and hanging out with them, but I can join a coworking space and setup fun hangouts with coworkers. 
  • Treat employees as people, not cogs
  • Permit casual desscode
  • Have good health insurance
  • Pay as much or more than I currently make (130k)
The area that I would live in:

  • Would be near family
  • Would be a larger city or within a short drive of one
    • Philadelphia PA
    • NOVA
    • Manchester, NH
    • After that - anywhere me and my guns are welcome (with CHL/CCW)
  • Would have 4 seasons
    • But none to extremes. Looking at you Potsdam NY
  • Would not require me to have a long commute by drive
    • Public transit FTW


Source: some thinking I did at GHC17
https://amazonv.dreamwidth.org/1172928.html 

So far I believe jobs that I would enjoy are technical product manager, systems administrator, network administrator. I would like to find out more about DFIR, DevOps and am open to suggestions! I do not think I would do well on or enjoy (red team)  penetration testing.

Why did I take a job that did not meet many of the desires I have? No one else wanted me.
Perhaps you can help me figure out why?

Draft resume what is wrong?
and or is linked in wrong? https://www.linkedin.com/in/amazonv/

Plan to improve my desireability:
http://amazonvisrandom.blogspot.com/2017/11/commute-plan-back-to-infosec.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subscriptions